Distribution of Printed Material To be Regulated by Dean's Office

New Rulings to Cover Subject Matter, Time, Ways of Circulation

The snowstorm of pamphlets, petitions, solicitations, and posters which have showered the dormitories this year will be subject to regulation by the Dean's Office in future, according to a memorandum released by Dean Chase yesterday.

A Student Council Committee headed by Alan Gottlieb '41 worked with F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr. '38, Assistant Dean, and J.R. Stewart, Superintendent of Caretakers, to prepare the new regulations, the text of which follows:

1. Permission will be granted automatically to regularly recognized student organizations if the literature in question is to appear over the signatures of at least three students.

2. Permission will also be granted to any other students or student groups, unless the Dean's Office deems it inadvisable on account of the subject matter of the literature, and, before permission is denied, the Student Council or its officers will be consulted.

In each of these cases permission is understood to be subject to the regulations regarding commercial advertising and solicitation of funds.

4. All such printed matter can only be distributed between the hours of 9 A.M. and 5 P.M.

5. The distributors of such printed matter, before operating, must identify themselves through Mr. Stewart to the janitors of the buildings by a written permit obtained from the Dean's Office.

6. In the Houses, distribution will be permitted automatically by the Dean's Office, except in those Houses where the Master has expressed a desire to give personal approval.

7. In the case of posters, the size of the notices should be limited to 7 inches by 11 inches.

8. When applications for permission are made, an additional copy of the poster or pamphlet should be left for the Dean's Office file.

9. Ordinarily, permission should be requested 24 hours before the material is to be distributed in order to give time to send word to Mr. Stewart, Mr. Durant, and to the Houses.