The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Group Aims to Awaken U.S. to Entanglements

'No Wilson Promises' Committee Has Already Enlisted 300 Members

In an attempt to make the public conscious of the danger of the United States becoming entangled in war if President Roosevelt disregards his campaign guarantee to prevent this involvement, many Harvard "No Wilson Promises" Committees have already been organized.

Already over 300 blue and white buttons have been sold to Harvard undergraduates and faculty members. Wearing these tokens signifies, in the words of David P. Bennett '42, the group's spokesman, a desire to "keep out of war at the present time and demand that President Roosevelt keep his promise to keep us out of war."

Movement Spreads

The movement originated at a conference of the New England division of the American Student Union. It rapidly developed as an entirely independent organization with chapters throughout the East at schools like Radcliffe, M.I.T., and Simmons.

At Harvard the committee is not connected with any existing group but has received active support from individuals in numerous political factions including the Harvard Student Union and the Harvard Pacifist League.

Three sections have been set up in the committee. A scientific committee will publish a pamphlet on the cost of the last war to science, and an economic group will investigate the effects of the last war on labor and will write a leaflet on its findings. A music committee, under the direction of Lawrence B. Grose '41, will attempt to popularize an anti-war ballad being composed by Dexter P. Nichols '41. Plans are being made to have a "No Wilson Promises" group in the Glee Club introduce the song.