FRIESELL BEST IN U.S., SAYS BILL BINGHAM

Varsity Struggles For High Polish Against Blue Team

Yesterday Bill Bingham made public a letter to referee Red Friesell, central figure in three officiating storms this fall, in which he expressed the utmost confidence in Friesell's ability as a football official. Bingham still considers him "the best in the country."

Meanwhile, the Crimson football squad drove hard all afternoon trying to acquire the final licks of polish necessary to make its offense click against the Elis. In addition, Harvard regulars got another eye-ful of Yale plays as interpreted by a motley crew--five coaches, a sprinkling of Jayvees, and some subs. As usual, Wes Fesler occupied the featured role in the Blue backfield.

MacKinney Out

The definite medical decision on Loren MacKinney will not come until tomorrow, but the final announcement will be a mere formality. The fighting Tar Heel has barely been able to hobble around ever since the Brown game, and his play Saturday will probably not be more than a routine appearance to earn his letter. And Captain Joe Gardella's charley horse has not responded to treatment as well as expected, so his service Saturday will be limited. Yesterday he ran through a few plays with the A team, but Bill Brown is a good bet for the starting assignment.

There will be no formal rally for the football team this week, but plans are being made to show Penn game movies in the Indoor Athletic Building tomorrow night. A definite announcement will be made tomorrow morning.

A Harvard party of about 150 football players, soccer players, coaches, trainers and newspapermen will leave for New Haven at 8:55 o'clock Friday morning and are scheduled to arrive in New Haven at 12:10 o'clock. They will have a look at the Yale Bowl for a few minutes and then go out to Choate School for an afternoon workout.