Ex-President Lowell Speaks At Dunster's Tenth Anniversity

Founding of Dunster House Described by President-emeritus in Ceremonies Last Night-Saltonstall Sees Heavy Responsibilities for Undergraduates Preparing for Later Life

Praise was showered on President-emeritus A. Lawrence Lowell '77, founder of the House system, at a formal dinner last night celebrating the tenth birthday of the founding of Dunster House. The Speakers, President Lowell, President James B. Conant '14, and Governor Leverett Saltonstall '14, were introduced by the Housemaster, Clarence H. Haring '07.

"The House system's great success is largely due to President Lowell's inspiration which was realized in the opening of Dunster House ten years ago," declared President Conant. Conant called this an historic occasion according to his theory that the great anniversaries are the first, tenth, and so on in geometric progression.

The hardships in building of Dunster House were recalled by ex-President Lowell who described the early days of the House under its first Master, Chester N. Greenough '98. Many struggles were endured in securing the land near the old Freshman dormitories even before construction could begin, Dr. Lowell remembered.

Three hundred years ago, when Henry Dunster, in whose memory the House is named, was president of the College, Henry Saltonstall was an undergraduate. Last evening the ninth Saltonstall in direct succession, to attend Harvard, Leverett, spoke, both as a member of the Board of Overseers and as Governor of Massachusetts.

In observing that all the students of yesteryear had to warm themselves with an ample supply of rum, the Governor warned against softness, although he expressed faith in the good judgment of modern youth. "We all must make sacrifices to preserve the future of our country," he said. "A student's hard work comes now, in college, when he is preparing to take on his later responsibilities."