HARVARD TO OFFER DEFENSE COURSES

Plan Part of Government-Supported Project For Stimulating Defense

Emergency courses to train engineers and technicians urgently needed in the nation's defense industries will be offered soon in a cooperative program sponsored by Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Northeastern University, and Tufts College, it was announced.

Comprising full-time day courses, as well as evening courses for men who are employed, the plan is part of a nation-wide project supported by the government for specialized training in fields essential to national defense.

Engineering Experience Needed

There will be no charge for tuition in the courses, but three years previously spent in an accredited engineering school or its equivalent will be required for admission. Each course is expected to last for approximately one college term of 16 weeks.

The joint program of the four greater Boston institutions was arranged to avoid duplication of courses and to assure the most effective utilization of the special teaching and laboratory resources of each. Dean Harold M. Westergard of the Harvard School of Engineering; Professor Raymond D. Douglas of M.I.T.; Dean William C. White of the College of Engineering at Northeastern University, and Dean Harry P. Burden of the Tufts School of Engineering make up the committee in charge of the project, which is expected to train approximately 1000 students.

Many Technical Subjects

Specializing in a long list of technical subjects, the program will include instruction on airplane structures, building construction, marine engineering, and defense production and coordination.

For those who lack advanced engineering study, there will also be a course on engineering principles. This course will offer fundamental training in science and mathematics, and will prepare students for employment, in the engineering or production department of industrial concerns engaged in work related to national defense.

If there is sufficient demand, courses in other subjects may be added, and specialized studies and training may be established for groups in important industrial centers.