Injury Benches Gardella For Penn Game

SKELETON '11' HAS GLOOMY MONDAY PRACTICE DRILL

By David B. Stearns

The ogle-eyed jinx that persists in shadowing Harvard football captains finally came home to roost at Soldiers Field yesterday when it was learned that Joe Gardella who sparked the team throughout 60 minutes of the rain-soaked content Saturday would be lost to the team for the Penn struggle at Philadelphia this week-end.

Last year Captain Torby MacDonald was on the sidelines most of the season with an injured ankle--now Gardella goes into cold storage with a severe charley horse that may keep him out of action for the remainder of the season.

It was Gloomy Monday on the practice gridiron yesterday as the squad went through one of the dullest Monday afternoon rehearsals of the current season. The team not only faces George Munger's powerhouse eleven on Saturday but also tackles a heavy James B. Conant offensive in the form of November hours. all through the week.

Regulars Missing

Of the regulars, Dick Pfister, Burgy Ayres, Vern Miller, Loren MacKinney, Chub Peabody and Don Lowry all were missing from yesterday's session--studying for November hours. The rest of the squad went through the customary Monday morning rites and exercises including passing and signal drills, work against Penn plays, and a scrimmage between the skeleton "B" squad and the Yardlings.

The loss of the fiery Crimson leader, who the movies showed put on a fourbell performance in the stadium Saturday will be a serious one to the Harlow eleven. For pass defense, hard tackling and competent faking Gardella is without a peer on the Crimson squad, and his shoes will be hard to fill.