Crews Ring Down Curtain on Rowing Season

Anderson, Wagner 8's Favored to Cop Top Honors in Final Race

Five varsity heavies and five 150-pound crews will race this afternoon in the nation's biggest regatta of the year as the curtain rolls down on a strenuous fall rowing season. The race scheduled to start at 4 o'clock will be over a mile course on the Charles River Basin.

The five oarsmen selected last Thursday by Tom Belles and his cohorts to stroke the heavy crews are Jack Wilson, last year's varsity stroke, "Wag" Wagner, Bristol Hall, Buck Anderson, and Bus Curwen, stroke of the 1943 boat last season.

Pacing the 150 shells will be John Abbot, Jerry Redmond, Bob Lincoln, Bob Hickey, and "Deke" Fales.

Buck Anderson, who stroked the second place boat last fall, will be favored again to be up among the leaders, with Wagner's crew looked for to push the Californian to the limit. Ewing Walker, Sam Goddard, and Bob Fowler form the nucleus of Anderson's eight, while Captain Shem Gray and Bruce Pirnie give the added zip to Wagner's boatload. Everett Henry, Brown, 3rd, will weigh down the stern of the Anderson octet.

Strokes Jack Wilson and Bus Curwen will probably end up in a nip and tuck race for third, although either have a chance of finishing out in front.

After more than a month of rowing in which Bolles has kept the crews pretty well mixed up, strokes were picked last week. They in turn chose up eights for today's race. These eights have worked together as units.

During the fall season Bolles has experimented with many combinations, including a "Giant" crew made up of all the heaviest oarsmen and Class crews, of which the Senior boat has looked the best.

The listings for today's regatta:

Anderson's Boat: Ewing Walker, Bob Fowler, Sam Goddard, Bill Homans, Fred Herter, George Hibbert, Ev Brown III, and John Straus.

Wilson's Boat: Bruce Pirnie, Sherm Gray, Mike Marshall, Mac Marshall, Bill Emmet, Don Johnson, Sid Hunt, and Caleb Brokaw.

Hall's Boat: Norm Bacon, George Nichols, Bull Reece, Tony Villo, Al Anderson, Bill Shaw, Morris Gray, and Jim Ducey.

Curwen's Boat: Dave Challinor, Harry Parkman, Ford King, Andy Kauffman, John Carpenter, John Richardson, Frank Snyder, and Tom Boynton.

Wagner's Boat: Frank Hinckley, Hallet Whitman, Sandy Whitman, Jerry Prince, Pop Jenks, Carl Seligman, Jim Montgomery, and Dick Palmer.