DOUBT OF SUPPORT, DIMINISHED CRISIS CURTAIL MILITARY TRAINING PROGRAM

Lectures Slated To Feel Sentiment; Opening of Two Courses Likely

Because of the lack of any substantial interest, the program of military training to be presented by the College will be much smaller than at first envisioned.

The drill corps has been virtually dropped from the scheme under consideration, since a spontaneous demand for it is lacking. The extent of the lecture program and special courses is conditioned on the response the first experimental offerings receive.

Both the Student Council and the Faculty Committee on Military Training feel impelled to move with caution, not knowing the sentiment of the student body. Even since the beginning of the year it has become less urgent.

The stabilization of the conflict in Europe raises a question as to the necessity of special training. "Although it will make the draftees better soldiers, is it worth while when they aren't going to be used for four or five years?" those formulating the program are asking themselves.

The only step that has been definitely taken is the recommendation of the Faculty committee that the Mathematics Department offer a course in trigonometry to meet the needs of those taking the flying course, and the recommendation that the Business School course in Procurement be opened to students in the University.

What will probably happen is that a preliminary series of sox lectures will be given, possibly during December, to determine how widespread interest is These lectures will deal with the branches of the army and the type of service required in each. An attempt will be made to sign up those who would attend a longer series during the winter and it the number is sufficient the course will go on.

The whole program, however, needs a driving force from the student body to put it over. Neither the Student Council nor the Faculty committee is willing to risk action which might give form to that force. Until they do, it is likely that the project will remain stymied.