WAR POSTPONES SHIPMENT OF EUROPEAN BOOKS TO WIDENER

Library Report Lists Gifts Of Books, Pamphlets, Money

Because of war dangers the University Library is postponing the shipment of scholarly periodicals and other materials from Central Europe to Cambridge, having the materials stored in Europe until the close of hostilities, it was disclosed today in the annual report of Keyes D. Metrail, Director of the University Library.

Although the postponement causes considerable inconvenience and delay to research workers, the Library authorities have decided not to risk destruction of the materials, Mr. Metcalf said.

Along with the same scholarly material, the Library is also storing in Central Europe files of newspapers, which normally would be photographed at the Library on micro-films. In 1938, under a grant from the Rockefeller Foundation, the Library began micro-film files of some thirty-five newspapers in all parts of the world. The film records are available at cost to other libraries desiring them.

Among the outstanding gifts to the Library during the past year, Mr. Metcalf reported, were the papers of Walter Hines Page, United States Ambassador to Great Britain during the World War, presented by Arthur W. Page, '05, of New York City.

Eighteen important volumes of Americans, filling gaps in the Harvard collections, were presented by Arthur A. Houghton Jr. '29, of Corning, N. Y. Included in the gift were a first editionof Anne Bradstreet's "The Tenth Muse," 1650; a first edition of William Wood's "New Englands Prospect," 1634, the first detailed account of Massachusetts; and the only known copy of one of the earliest books printed by William Bradford in New York, "Some Seasonable Considerations for the good People of Connections," 1694.

A number of 18th century tracts, which once belonged to Robert Treat Paine, have been presented by John B. Paine '91, Helen P. Kimball, Georgina P. Fisher, Mary A. Winsor, and Frank C. Paine '18. One rare item is "A Prospective Plan for the Battle of Lake George," 1775, presenting a detailed view of the action.

Thomas W. Lamont '92, of New York City, presented a rare collection of books, manuscripts and broadsides relating to the Spanish Armada, described by Mr. Metcalf as "a collection of scope and importance so great that it may well inspire a reappraisal of the history of the Defeat of the Armada."

Among other gifts were a representative collection of modern California typography, from Albert J. Bender; and several volumes and manuscripts, from Witter Bynner '02.

A special gift from Harry Harkness Flagler made possible the enlargement of the quarters of the Poetry Room of the Library, originally set up and endowed by Mr. Flagler.

Among many others giving books or money to the library were J. P. Morgan '89, the Trustees of Elcanor Elkins Rice, Owen D. Young, the Biblioteca Nacional of Buenos Aires, and the Boston School Committee.

Gifts to the College Library totalled 22,642 volumes and 31,288 pamphlets.

Library ascessions brought the total number of volumes and pamphlets in the University's collection to 4,159,606. The number of books borrowed from the College Library for home use has increased more than 60 per cent over the level five years ago, and 115 per cent over that of ten years ago, Mr. Metcalf reported. Last year, 239,161 volumes were borrowed for outside use.