SDL Poll Samples War Opinions of Students

Eliot House Results Show Majority Still Favoring Peace With Aid

Undergraduates are being questioned on their foreign policy opinions through a poll now being run by the student Defense league. A cross-section of the student body is being canvassed on the same principles as the Gallup poll.

Final tabulations of this straw balloting will be used in the League's official periodical, Defense. To date only the Eliot House totals have been computed.

Of the 99 answers to the crucial question, "Do you favor aid to Britain" 84 students favored aid, while 15 stated a definite objection to assistance.

Subdividing their opinions, six advocated limited material aid. 32 all material aid, 41 all necessary help and 23 included military assistance.

Selection of one or more of a list of slogans was also requested. "A British victory is essential to our national defense" received the most votes totaling 51. Forty students checked "Hitler to win but it is not important enough to fight about" showed the discussion over that problem.

Sixteen declared "This is not our fight." but only four votes acknowledged that a "Nazi victory will not affect our position."