OFFICERS ELECTED BY LIBERAL UNION

Ames, Hodson Chosen As Leaders; Questions of Policy Discussed

Edward Ames '42 was elected president, and William Hodson '42, vice-president of the Harvard Liberal Union, at a meeting held last night in the Eliot House Junior Common Room.

Roland Young, instructor in Government, opened the meeting with a plea that American liberals, instead of attempting to form a third party or pressure-group of their own, join forces with the existing party which most completely expresses their views. Young added that, in his opinion, the present Democratic Party best fits this definition.

A policy discussion followed, in which the Union adopted a platform on both national and international affairs. The national program advocated a continuation of the New Deal, and an extension of the "concept that democracy is a program for human betterment as well as a governmental procedure."

The program further urged that "no single group should be called upon to take a disproportionate share of the responsibilities for, or any group alone bear the brunt of the defense program," and concluded that the "fight for democracy must go forward at home in order to be effective abroad."

Aid to Britain and China

The international program proposed aid to Britain and China holding that "England, whatever it has been in the past, today presents the picture of a people united in a common effort, the defense of a state in which democratic living will be possible."

The Union's declared policy opposed "entry into the present war now in the belief that we can best serve the cause of a stable peace by vigorous economic aid to embattled democracies, and by strengthening our national defenses with the cooperation of all groups."

In addition to Ames and Hodson, the folowing officers were elected: Andrew Rice '43, secretary-treasurer; Roger Fisher '43, Walter Neuberg '43, and Frank Power 43, members-at-large. Louis Pollak '44 was re-elected as Freshman representative.