HSU MOVES TO COORDINATE PEACE ACTION

College, Local Groups Move For Anti-War Demonstration

A mass demonstration outside of the Committee for Militant Aid to Britain's meeting Thursday evening is the initial action planned last night by the seventeen peace groups which met last night in Eliot House, under the auspices of the Harvard Student Union.

Supported by prominent faculty members and Cambridge citizens, the united peace movement decided on a vigorous program of agitation against the "call for war itself."

The steering committee stated, "We must regard both President Conant's declaration and the projected war rally at Harvard as trial balloons testing the tractability of the American people to a new level in the war drive. Our answer to this is a united and militant demonstration that we will not so be led."

Five Colleges Support Move

In addition to the Harvard and Cambridge groups originally planning to attend yesterday's meeting, representatives of Tufts, M.I.T., Radcliffe, and Boston University were present. A member of the state council of the C.I.O. was also there and he expects to bring the movement to the notice of the organization.

More than a hundred representatives of the groups attending the meeting will form the nucleus of Thursday's demonstration, which will express opposition to any intervention drive and specifically the current Harvard movement.

Policy of United Action

The peace demonstration, called the first of its kind ever to be held in the Yard, will open an active, "continually cooperative" program striving to keep the United States out of war.

Although the peace group has formulated no more definite program than "united action for peace," a steering committee has been chosen representing a cross-section of the societies involved. Student and local support is now being organized through pamphlets and factional meetings and the movement is expected to take on nation-wide dimensions in the near future.