NEW COURSES ARE ADDED TO CURRICULUM

Faculty Approves Military Science Math Studies

Military and naval training at Harvard added another course to its program when Mathematics B was approved at a Faculty meeting Tuesday.

"Elementary Mathematics and Mechanics for Military and Naval Training" will include instruction in plane trigonometry, elements of mechanics, and the elements of electricity. It is a half-year course taught during the second semester, open to graduates and undergraduates including Freshmen.

Beatley in Charge

Ralph Beatley, associate professor of Education, is in charge with the cooperation of the Department of Engineering Sciences and the Department of Physics. Although the course may not be counted for concentration or Honors in any field, it will be credited for the Bachelor's degree and no extra charge will be made if it is taken as an extra course. No credit will be given, however, if Mathematics A or Physics B or their equivalents have been taken.

Lieutenant-Colonel Henry D. Jay, military R.O.T.C. head here, expressed his enthusiasm over the new course, stating, "I am going to recommend that all R.O.T.C. students who have not had plane trigonometry take this course." Captain George N. Barker, head of the Naval R.O.T.C., could not be reached for comment but it is expected that he will also vigorously support the course.

At Tuesday's meeting, two other new half-year courses were introduced had approved. Economics 118b is a seminar course dealing with "selected applications of statistics to problems of economic theory." Biology 111b concerning biometry relates the applications of statistics and algebra to biological problems of all kinds, particularly those of genetics. The course includes a study of the normal curve, goodness of fit, correlation coefficients, and the analysis of variance."