Varsity Hoopsters Rely on Teamwork Tonight As Season Opens Against Novice M.I.T. Squad

By John C. Robbins

The varsity basketball team opens its season tonight against M.I.T. at the Tech Rangar, and no one seems to be willing to hazard a guess as to how it will come out. The game will go on as soon as the Vardling quintet has finished its curtain vaiser, which is scheduled to begin at 7 o'clock.

Coach Wes Fesler is gloomy as usual basing his pessimism on the short time that he has been working with the team a brief period compared with the six weeks which the Tech five has had to polish up its plays.

Captain Franny Simpson, who is starting tonight at forward, is fairly optimistic, but neither he nor Fesler will take a definite stand on the team. Simpson's view is that the esprit de corps which the team has already developed will make up for its lack of play.

Down at Tech, to round out the picture, they won't even admit themselves to a cheerful or a gloomy outlook. They have three veterans back from their 41 to 28 victory in the opener last year, but the best of them. Captain Ronic Samuels may be out of the game with a bum leg. Three more men have shown promise but have never played before in a varsity game

The team's great advantage will be its ability of work as a unit an ability that the Crimson lacked last year Simpson's four running mates will be four Juniors who have been playing together for two years and with then captain for one entire season. This factor may prove decisive.

Romane at Forward

Joe Romane will start at forward with Simpson: Ed Rothschild will be in at center; and Ed Buckley and Bud Reagan will open at the guards Romane and Buckley have already had then eyes on the basket in practice with Romane a close third as a scoring threat Rothschild and Simpson are strong on floor work.

Jack Whalen and Sanford Glitch will be the Engineers' big potentialities if it is true that Samuels is out. Ernest Avis, George Mavakas and Tom "Red" Dolan will start as guards and center.