WEAKENED FENCERS FACE BROWN TODAY

CRIMSON WIN PROBABLE

By Eugene D. Keith

When the Varsity fencers cross blades with Brown at Providence this afternoon in the season's first match, they will be missing two of their best men, Tom Wright in the sabre and Amos Murphy in epec.

This probably will not put the outcome in doubt; Coach Peroy predicts that "we won't have much trouble." But what it may do to the rest of the season, if these two lads are unable to trot their marks to the Dean's Office level, is a horse of a different color. Hopes for an undefeated team are more than a little clouded at present.

Since Harvard is starting its fencing schedule rather late anyhow, the problem of training other squad members to take the place of Murphy and Wright becomes doubly acute. Peroy is giving his best men a rest today in order to take a look at some of the others, substituting the regulars if necessary.

Brown Easy Last Year

Last year's Brown match was easy, and there is no reason to believe that it will be any different this time. If the Bruins, led by epeeman Amidon, give the weak Crimson sabre team too much trouble, Peroy may shift Johnson or another foil man to the sabre for the next match.

But whatever today's match may disclose about the strength and weaknesses of the swordsmen, Peroy will have his hands full from now on trying to make up for a heart-breaking loss at the start of what promised to be a great season.

The Yardlings will seek their second win this afternoon when they fence the '43 Bears before the Varsity match.

The Varsity lineup:

Foils: Art, Jaros, Ben Johnson, Joe Koch; and Al Labastie, Crannie Jones. Sabre: Wynn Alberts, Joe Laird, Cal Williams. Epee: Bill Croach, Lynn Brua, Art Allen."

Freshman lineup:

Foils: Dick Adler, Al Skelly, John Sawhill; and Martin Johnson, John Vaughan. Sabre: Ellis Robinson, John Wood, Miles Maxfield. Epee: Dick Wiechmann, Sumner Katze, Art Von Mehren; and George White.