Navy, Pennsylvania Slated to Encounter Mermen This Week

Middies, Led by Conger, Miley, Jacques, and Fisher, May Press Crimson

By Donald Peddie

Hal Ulon's powerful Varsity mermen hit the read this afternoon, bound for Annapolis and Philadelphia in quest of their third and fourth league victories, against Navy and Pennsylvania respectively. This week's contests will set the stage for the all-important H--Y--P clashes later in the schedule, settling first, second, and third positions in the final league standings.

The feature races of the Navy encounter will be the 50 and 100 yard dashes where George Wiley, Middie Sophomore speedster, will meet an up-and-coming Jim Curwon, Lonnie Stowell, or Dave Stearns. Captain Rick Cutler should not have much trouble in scoring a double in the 220 and 440, but Jim Conger may push Frannie Powers a bit in both events.

Waldron Improving

Al Waldron has been showing steady improvement in the breastroke and has a good chance to carry off the butterfly event in tomorrow's meet at Annapolis. George Dana and Chet Hagenkahn will need to be at their beat to outpoint Harvard Ficher in the dive, but Art Bosworth should annex the 150-yard backstroke with little effort. Dick Harris may give Midshipman Jack Jacques a good battle for second place.

Coach Ulen will undoubtedly enter a strong enough trio to win the medley, but he may not use his fastest foursome in the relay if the Crimson have come through as expected and piled up the necessary 38 points or more in the first eight races.

Wiley of Navy has done a 23.5 50 and is capable of breaking 24 fiat at almost every attempt, but his centuries are comparatively slower. There, Curwen will be the favorite. Conger is the current high-point man in the league records and does around 2:18 and 5:10 in the two distance swims. The Middies have won one out of four league meets this year.