LION FIVE LOSES TO VARSITY 38-35, IN CLOSE FINISH

MEYERS SCORES 16

By John C. Robbins

The Varsity basketball team continued its well-established custom of providing a photo finish for the Indoor Athletic Building spectators last night, holding off a speedy Columbia quintet to win its second game from the Lions 38 to 35.

The entire team was clicking in rare form although only Captain Charley Lutz with 12 points had a high total. Little Albie Meyers, star Blue and White forward, was the evening's highest scorer with 16 points, of which no less than six were scored on free throws.

Never Behind

The Crimson jumped to an early lead as the first three shots, thrown by Franny Simpson, who started at forward; Bud Finegan; and Joe Romano, slipped through the net.

The Lions never caught up, and the closest they came to evening the score was just at the half, when Meyers sank two of his long-shot specialties to bring his team within three points of Harvard at 17 to 14.

As the second half started, the Feslermen walked off to another large lead, being ahead nine points with ten minutes to go. But the New Yorkers steadily whittled down that lead, aided by many foul shots.

Free Throws

In the course of the game, Columbia players had sixteen free shots at the Harvard basket, on ten personal fouls, and they sank eleven of them.

Bill Webber was the second highest Crimson scorer with seven points scored in less than ten minutes. Buckley scored five and Romano and Finegan garnered four each. Franny Simpson got his long awaited chance for a starting job, and played a good, steady game.

Freshmen Overwhelm Dean

The surprising Yardlings ran up 63 points for their fourth straight win against a hapless team from Dean Academy, which only netted 19. Larry Hall, tall forward, came through with 15 points to earn himself a total of 39 in the last two games. Charley Royer led his teammates with 18 points, only one less than the number scored by the other team.