HOOPSTERS START FOR BATTLE WITH ITHACANS

Team Eager to Repeat Penn Upset and Reverse Previous Defeat From Big Red Quintet

Firmly entrenched in fifth place in the League standing thanks to Saturday night's overtime decision over Penn, the Varsity basketball team started off for Ithaca yesterday afternoon to attempt the giant-killing act of beating Cornell.

The Big Red hoopsters stand second in the League, and one of their six wins was at the hands of the Crimson here two weeks ago by a 43 to 33 score. This evening they will be playing on their home court and the advantages will all be with them.

However, the Feslermen were able to overcome the handicap of playing in the immense Palestra in Philadelphia and they may still be able to pull another upset out of the fire.

An added incentive for victory will be the fact that a win tonight will send the Crimson into the Yale game Saturday on even terms with the Elis, as the Big Green's slaughter of the Bulldog Monday night by a 60 to 35 score leaves Harvard only a half game out of a fourth place tie.

The Crimson starting lineup was still indefinite when the team left yesterday, with Charley Lutz and Sam White the only sure starters in their regular jobs of forward and center. Either Bill Webber or Franny Simpson will ge the other forward post.