The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Business Board to Start Competition Wednesday Night

Prospective Tycoons Will Be Given Chance to Learn Financial Side of Newspaper

For aspiring business magnates and advertising men in the Class of 1943 the CRIMSON will hold open house next Wednesday night at 7:30 as the first 1940 Business Board competition for Freshmen gets under way.

To the prospective tycoon the CRIMSON offers an opportunity to gain experience in selling advertising space, writing ad copy, and in meeting the manifold business problems involved in managing the financial and advertising side of a daily newspaper.

Chief assets of CRIMSON Business Board training are the development of a selling technique, a knowledge of the broad principles of advertising, and the opportunity to meet business executives of Cambridge and Boston.

During the six to eight weeks of the competition, candidates will be assigned many different tasks, including the traditional jobs of running copy and collecting bills. They will familiarize themselves with the special terminology of newspaper business: copy, proofs, makeup, and inserts. The work required of a prospective Business Board member will be as nearly as possible adjusted to his program, and will average about two hours a day.

Successful candidates will be picked for Board membership on the basis of the ingenuity, creativeness, and faithfulness they have shown in the competition.