Workshop Opened To Boost Hobbies

Crafts Society Announces Use Of Shops in Hunt Hall and Lowell House

Harvard men who have a yen for building model boats, making furniture, or fixing clocks will soon have an outlet for their creative energy.

At a meeting of the recently organized Harvard Crafts Shop last night plans were announced for opening facilities to hobbyists in an elaborately equipped shop in Hunt Hall and in a second shop in the basement of Lowell House, to be equipped later by contributions from members.

The Hunt Hall room, which is used by Architectural Science students, will probably be thrown open to wood and metal workers tomorrow afternoon.

For Hobbyists

Primary purpose of the Crafts Shop, according to William B. Schallek '41, is to give hobbyists who want to build things a place to work. Moreover, students who want to make money in their spare time by constructing furniture will be provided with the necessary facilities. The project is modelled on similar organizations at Brown and Wisconsin.

With approximately 36 members already enrolled, and a ten dollar contribution from the Student Union to start the ball rolling, it is hoped that the Lowell House room can be equipped in the near future. Besides Schallek, those active in organizing the shop were Robert D. Forsberg '41 and Leverett Tuckerman '41.