Refugee Committee May have To Supply Additional $5,000

University - Granted Scholarships Would Stretch Last Year's Fund for Next Two

The Harvard Refugee Committee, which raised $19,000 in a whirlwind campaign late in 1938, is now faced with the possibility of having to dig up an additional $5,000 if it is to carry the 14 refugee students under its charge through to the completion of their education.

But if the University puts up $500 scholarships for each of the refugee students the Committee will be able to scrape along for two more years with the money raised last year from undergraduates and alumni, to whom 35,000 letters asking for funds were mailed.

University Given $10,000

Originally the plan was to bring refugees form Greater Germany to Harvard and support them for a year, but the Committee's drive was so successful that it undertook to support a group of students for three years. At that time the University donated $10,000 in the form of 20 $500 scholarships.

Fourteen of these grants will have been used by June, and the Committee will seek approximately ten more.

Harvard's 14 refugees, eight of whom are graduate students and six undergraduates, registered almost uniformly brilliant records at midyears, with George Rohrlich and Walter Stetner, both first-year graduate students from Vienna, leading the parade with five A's each.

These high records are not a matter of chance, but of careful selection. Last summer members of the Refugee Committee, which includes Charles E. Ennis '40, chairman, Arthur M. Shain '40, secretary, Max D. Gaebler '41, student treasurer, and Robert F. Herrick '90, graduate treasurer, interviewed over 500 refugees in New York.

Mathematician's Son

Beside Rohrlich and Stetner, the refugees who are graduate students include Herman Noether of Berlin, whose father is a famous German mathematician now in exile in Russia; Karl Deutsche, a Czech who came to Harvard year ago; Walter Pick 2M, another Czech who chalked up an outstanding record for his first half year's work at the Medical School; Herbert Sonthoff of Berlin; Georg Fleishcer, who was formerly a wealthy philanthropist and educational leader in Vienna and was exiled without a penny because he married Jewess; and Klemens Klemperer, another Austrian.

Undergraduates include Kurt Hertzfeld '42, an Austrian Economics concentrator; Jiri Springer '42 and Walter Robitschek 42, lifelong friends who went to Columbia together before coming to Harvard, Johannes Imhof '42, another Austrian and an Economics student; Thomas Wiener '42, a Czech and a Government concentrator; and Milos Safranek '42.