SENIORS OFFERED ACHIEVEMENT TEST IN LARGE SURVEY

HELD MARCH 22-26

Harvard Seniors who want to see where they stand in all-round scholastic achievement in relation to their classmates and to seniors at other colleges will have a chance to do so when the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching offers comprehensive examinations here from Friday to Tuesday, March 22 to 26.

The exams, which are taken in two half-day sessions, are of the objective short-answer variety, designed to test the student's general grasp of the principal subjects taught in the liberal arts college, as well as the extent of his knowledge in certain of the fields of concentration.

Tests Made By Faculties

Known as the Graduate Record Examination, the tests were constructed with the cooperation of the faculties of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Columbia. In the past three years the examination has been given to all students beginning graduate work in Arts and Sciences at these universities.

Only this year have a number of colleges, including Yale, given the exam to seniors. It will be given here on a purely voluntary basis, to all Seniors who wish to take it; letters form Dean Hanford, giving full details, will go out to the entire class of 1940 this week.

Students Will Get Charts

Each student taking the tests will receive a chart showing his attainment in each of the fields of knowledge tested in relation to that of all other students taking the examination. He will also be able to see where he stands in relation to all other students in his particular field of concentration who have taken the tests.

The results of the tests, which will provide each student with an inventory of his intellectual equipment, will be held completely confidential at his request.