Large Turnout Is Expected at First Spring Football Practice

Crimson Faces One of Its Hardest Schedules With Six Home Games, Two Away

By Donald Peddie

Dick Harlow and his coaching aides will be on hand in Briggs Cage this afternoon at 4:30 o'clock to greet about 35 gridiron hopefuls, anxious to lay the Spring groundwork for one of the most ambitious football schedules Harvard has ever undertaken. The Spring session will extend until about May 1, with a week's break for Easter vacation.

The 1940 schedule has six home games and two away from Cambridge with Penn and Yale. After the opener with little Amherst on October 5, the Harlowmen will not have anything even faintly resembling a breather. On October 12, Fritz, Crisler, erstwhile Princeton mentor, will reappear in the Stadium, this time with a burly crew of Michigan Wolverines, headed by famed Tom Harmon.

Yale at new Haven

If the Crimson get out of that one alive, they have Army, Dartmouth, and Princeton to look forward to in rapid succession. Then comes the trip to Philadelphia to play Penn, followed by the Brown game in Soldiers Field and the Yale Bowl finale in New Haven.

Graduation will take a few reliables from the Harvard football camp. Captain Torbie Macdonald, Tom Healey, Bill Coleman, Mose Ballett, and Ernie Sargeant will he among the missing next fall, as will Jim Devine, Bart Kelly, George Downing, and Franzier Curtis. A good crop of promising Freshmen will attempt to fill most of the gaping holes, but most of the Yardlings seem more than a year away from the fast Varsity competition.

Lineup Changes

Dick Harlow has contemplated several changes for next fall and will give them thorough tryouts this Spring. Captain Joe Gardella will return to the fullback job he held as a Sophomore, and letterman George Heiden will move into the blocking quarterback role, a key position on any Harlow eleven.

Veteran guard Don Lowry will be given a chance to fill Tom Healey's shoes at tackle, and Ted Lyman will take a crack at both blocking back and center. There may be other innovations during the Spring, but right now these are the important changes on Harlow's mind.

Other sports will probably claim about a dozen football possibilities. Gene Lovett, Burgie Ayres, Charley Spreyer, and Ed Buckley are upperclassmen certain to remain with the baseball squad; and yearlings Calel Loring, Bill Barnes, Mort Waldstein, and Ray Guild are occupied with the diamond sport and with track.