Dean Hanford Commends Thurber Poll As Interesting to Officers of University

J. L. Donnell Terms Questionnaire "Forward Step"; Students Responsive

"The survey which the Senior Album Committee is making of the opinions and attitudes of the Class of 1940 should prove of interest not only to the class itself but also to Harvard College in general," stated Dean Hanford recently concerning the Album's "Thurber Poll."

Now nearing completion, the survey has been answered by over 70% of the senior class. Many have included information not expressly requested in the form of margin notations.

Helpful to Officers

"The proposed article in the Album which is to be written on the basis of the replies to the questionnaire," Dean Hanford continued, "should be especially helpful to officers of instruction and administration by throwing light on the value of different forms of extra-curricular activities, relation between students and Faculty, as well as the effectiveness of the Dean's office.

"The opinion of seniors on such topics as these will be of more than ordinary significance since the men will be looking back on their four years of College and will therefore be in a better position to view matters with a broader perspective than at any other stage in their College life."

Good Response

Dean Hanford emphasized the seriousness with which seniors have filled out and returned the questionnaires, and commended Donald M. D. Thurber '40 for his work upon them.

Commenting on Dean Hanford's statement John L. Donnell said "We feel that the Thurber poll is a step in the right direction--making the class book of more interest to those who are not actually graduates, keeping it from being a mere list of names and faces. I think that the article that Thurber is going to write on the results of the questionnaire will be of interest not only to the college authorities, but to undergraduates and all those who want to know what students really think and do.

"With respect to the students, I believe that the most valuable contribution of the poll will be its use as a measuring rod."