BINGHAM HITS VIEWS OF HUTCHINS ON FOOTBALL

(March 28--by the United Press)

By United Press

BOSTON--Harvard Athletic Director William J. Bingham tonight caustically criticized President Robert M. Hutchins of the University of Chicago for his stand on intercollegiate football.

Varsity football was dropped at Chicago after a series of disappointing season that was climaxed last fall by a 63-0 loss to Harvard.

Bingham told the Eastern District Convention of the American Association for Health, Physical Education and Recreation that Hutchins is "positively convinced that football has no place in a college program, and, since he has the physique of a Sir Galahad, he is convinced that he speaks with authority. . . .

"If President Hutchins were present, I am sure he would be convinced that he was listening to a psychopathic moron."

Admitting evils in intercollegiate football, Bingham said--

"We are living in a very real world . . . even Mr. Hutchins spends part of the winter in Florida . . . where he finds research quite pleasant, unless perchance it be research into intercollegiate football. On this subject he has made up his mind that no further research is necessary.