Pease Describes Combined Fields Of Concentration

Head of Committee Advises Joint Majors For Men With Two Interests

A complete explanation of the much-discussed combined fields of concentration was offered Saturday by Arthur S. Pease, professor of Latin and Chairman of the Committee on Additional Programs of concentration, which has had charge of the many new combinations inaugurated since last Spring.

"The purpose of combined fields," he explained, "is to enable a student who is interested in two different subjects to concentrate in both of them. Of course, there must be some natural connection between the two. Economics and Comparative Philology, for example, are hardly suited to combination. Subjects like Cultural Anthropology and Sociology, however, really deal with the same material, and are perfectly adapted to joint concentration."

Limited Membership

"The Committee has found it necessary," he continued, "to limit membership in the newer combinations to candidates for Honors, because the fields are still somewhat experimental and involve considerable independent work. The student will in most cases have two tutors, although one is preferable, if possible. The two fields will be fused in the thesis which will dead with some aspect common to both."

Professor Pease further explained that considerable adjustment was necessary between the two fields to insure a reasonable number of courses, and at the same time to provide basic instruction in both fields. "The result of this," he said, "is that in most cases the requirements are fairly flexible."

Pease emphasized the impossibility of having as many combinations as might be wanted, because each involves an interdepartmental committee, and too many of these hopelessly complicate administration.