LANDIS ADVOCATES WIDE STUDY FOR LAW

'LAW' COURSES ARE BAD

Expressing distress at the type of concentration program that young men are now getting in college," James McC. Landis Dean of the Law School, advocated yesterday the broadcast possible college education as preparation for the Law School.

"Law" he said, "is a profession which demands a tremendous sweep of knowledge. In order fully to understand the Infinitely varied claims that the lawyer has to argue, he must be a truly civilized man. I therefore heartily approve of the broad college program made possible by the new combined fields and the proposed area concentration.

"The last thing that a student should do is take the so-called "law" courses in college. He will have plenty of time to immerse himself in that subject when he reaches graduate school."

Although Dean Landis hesitated to recommend specific undergraduate courses, he did suggest certain subjects as important. He stressed the necessity of acquiring an ability to use the English language. "Over and over again," he said, "I find that many of our students are unable to think accurately because they cannot express themselves accurately. I have always thought that in giving up classical education we have sacrificed a discipline that made for precision in the choice of words and ideas."

"I further suggest," he continued, "that it is important to learn something about the history of our civilization. This can only be done by taking English literature and philosophy, as well as history. Courses like mathematics are advisable because they aid in the acquisition of some facility to deal with abstract ideas."

Landis further advised that the student pursue science to gain some conception of the scientific method, both as regards its possibilities and its limits. Lastly he urged some training that would lead the student back to original sources so that he lose complete reverence for the period page.