No War at International Club In spite of Its Six Nationalities

Cooperative Houses 22 Students, Ten of Them Foreigners, In Modern Babel

Two Germans, two Filipinos, two Czochs, two Chinese, an Austrian, and a Spaniard-this is not a roll-call of a Singapore bar, but he roster of foreign students who live at the International Club, Harvard's unique experiment in cooperative living.

Externally the three-story frame building at 5 Divinity Avenue which houses the Club and which stands almost in the shadow of the glided Germanic Museum looks much like any Harvard Professor's house.

But at meal times and in the evening the interior rings with the sounds of a modern Tower of Babel: German voices singing, the music of a Filipine orchestra, and voices conversing in many tongues (though English predominates) In the large dining room.

Ten Foreigners

For here live 22 Harvard students, ten of them foreigners both graduates and undergraduates. And by cooperating in managing the house, they pay $7.00 a week for meals and from $90 to $160 a year for room rent, an incredibly low rate for a University whose living costs are, the highest in the country.

Approximately 30 people now eat at the club every day, and there is room for ten more.

The germ of the idea of having the Club came from a Chinese student just a bout a year ago. A group of foreign and American students had convened to plan some social events. One of them was Roger S. Schafer '41 hurdler and co-chairman of the P.B.H. Foreign students Committee.

When the idea of securing a house was casually thrown out; Schafer snatched it up, and after working out plans with Archibald McMillan 2Dv, Jacob Hagopian 2G, and Amando Dalisay 2G, sold the idea to Raymond Dennett '36, P.B.H. graduate secretary, and to the Brooks House Cabinet, which agreed to guarantee the rent bills for three years.

On September 15 the International Club opened its doors with five students in residence. By the end of the month all rooms were filled, and remained so until McMillan recently had to leave because of illness.

AS the name implies, the Club is not merely a place for sleeping and eating. Besides dances, the Club has held three special" nationality nights"-Armenian, Portuguese, and Filipine-each attended by from 60 to 120 people.

Radcliffe Affiliated

For their dances International Club members draw on the Wellesley Cosmopolitan Club, an organization of foreign students, and on Radcliffe. Although parietal rules forbid their living at the Club, Radcliffe girls may become associate members; to date only four have availed themselves of the opportunity.

Following the Sunday night buffet suppers informal talks are often given by Harvard professors.

Although there have been no international crises in Harvard's Balkans, there have been many domestic ones. For a long time, because of a rapid turnover in overlords of the kitchen food and service deteriorated to a point where the club was losing its eating customers.

Eventually Schafer and White took over the kitchen and have restored order and quality; Schafer himself serves as head-waiter at breakfast