Undergraduate of Today Wants None Of Europe's War, Survey Poll Shows

College Students Like F.D.R., But Not for Third Term; Dewey Leads Rest of Pack

Today's college youth emphatically wants none of Europe's war, and, although in favor of the Allied cause, he is set against U. S. participation in World War II, even if it means the defeat of England and France. At least according to the first semi-annual report of the Student Opinion Surveys of America, which is backed by 156 college newspaper editors, that is how the current undergraduate feels.

While the majority of those answering the poll did not approve of allowing American materials to be sold to any country at war, they went on record as approving legislation making them available to the so-called democratic countries, 54.3 per cent wanted the Constitution changed to require a national vote before Congress could draft men for overseas service.

F. D. R. was generally approved as President, over 60 per cent favoring him, although he showed a slight drop in popularity over the last ten months. However, 39.3 per cent would like to see him run for a third term, which is an increase of almost 8 per cent in the last ten months.

If Roosevelt could be dispensed with by wishful thinking, next in favor for the Chief Executive's seat would be Thomas E. Dewey, according to the poll, who, with 33.8 per cent favorable votes, holds a commanding 3 to 1 lead over his nearest rival, Paul V. McNutt.

Blood Tests Favored

Turning to affairs more connected with college life, the undergraduates quizzed most nearly agreed when 93.1 per cent of them favored a pre-marital blood test. Over 85 per cent favored R. O. T. C. training in colleges, and over three-fifths thought that sex education courses should be made compulsory, an almost identical fraction desiring the abolition of compulsory class attendance.