H S U Committee To Poll Freshmen On Meal Contracts

Yard Questions Group Also Seeks Bio-Chemical Laboratory in Mallinckrodt

Reduced meal contracts for the Freshman Union and a Laboratory course for upperclass Bio-chemistry concentrators are the latest projects of the H.S.U. Yard Questions Committee, William B. Shallek '41, chairman, announced yesterday.

At present, Freshmen must pay for 21 meals a week at the Union, whether they eat them or not, while upperclassmen in the Houses may change their contracts for ten or 14 meals weekly. To avoid this waste, Shallek proposes polling the Yard to find how many would favor these reductions which might save late sleepers as much as $50 a year.

Aldrich Durant '02, Business Manager, commented that the plan would not save money and might cause the Union rates to be raised, since the present Freshman contracts are substantially lower than the House dining halls.

Proposed Laboratory Course

Although most pre-medical students are in the large field of Bio-chemistry, there are no courses given at present in this joint field, as in many other up-to-date universities.

At present, all the concentrators must take courses in either Biology or Chemistry. Shallek's committee hopes to get a laboratory opened with a course in the combined field.