Russell Baiter's Daughter Defends Sex, Goodnight Kiss

Gloria Kay Calls Philosopher "Immoral" in Yale News Interview

Feeling that the information contained in this article will be of value to Harvard undergraduates, the CRIMSON reprints the following interview from the Yale News.

"Sex should be open, and not surreptitious, but the writings and personal life of Bertrand Russell show his moral ideas to be a kind I and my family will not tolerate," firmly declared pretty Gloria Kay, daughter of Mrs. Jean Kay of Brooklyn, who brought suit against philosophy professor Bertrand Russell.

Gloria is a student at Erasmus High in Brooklyn, and has a liberal-minded family, which believes that the so-called "facts of life" should be taught children at an early age, but taught in the right way. "Mr. Russell is undoubtedly a very smart man," she admitted in a recent News interview. "And it is for this reason he would be dangerous in cleverly misleading weak-minded boys and girls with his ideas of trial marriages and other things which would bring down our present high standard of morals. I wouldn't want to be taught by a man who 'advocates' sex."

Not Old-fashioned

But Miss Kay will not be regarded as stuffy and old-fashioned. "If I should go out with a fellow I have known well for quite a long time, and whom I know to be respected by everyone, I see no harm in his kissing me goodnight. I would still respect him just as much as ever!"

Co-educational schools and colleges also meet the approval of Gloria Kay. "Though a fellow or girl may distract each other to an extent that might harm their work," she remarked, "this would be counteracted by the inspiration the one would get from the other as far as hard work and good living are concerned. The result is probably just as good, if not better, than that obtained in 'all-boy' or 'all-girl' schools. The co-educational system is one of the principles of modern education, and I approve of the association."

Dislikes Publicity

Gloria does not like publicity though, especially of the "yellow journalism" variety. She reports that all sorts of stories have been started about her and her family, varying from surnames of "publicity hunters" to a recent rumor that Mrs. Kay is trying to get her well-built, brunette daughter a screen contract, which the latter calls just "silly." Letters from all parts of the country flock in to this young lady, approving or disapproving of her mother's action, or just plain asking for a date. But Gloria and her family remain steadfast in their opinions, and are thankful that "that evil person" will not be instructing young New Yorkers along the paths of "moral maladjustment" next year.