"Projected Contours" Subject Of Map Exhibit in Robinson

Display Shows Original Works And Sketches of Fortune Cartographer

Demonstrating the method of creation of the so-called "projected contour" maps, which represent graphically but accurately the altitudes of mountains and deserts, an exhibit of the maps of Richard Edes Harrison, staff cartographer of Fortune Magazine, went on display yesterday in Robinson Hall.

Sponsored by Bremer W. Pond, Charles Eliot Professor of Landscape Architecture, and Norman T. Newton, assistant professor of Landscape Architecture, the exhibit consists of the original sketches and the finished product of a score of Harrison's productions in Fortune.

Easily Understandable

Harrison developed his system, Professor Pond explained yesterday, in order that maps could be more easily understood by the average reader. They give the same impression as that given by an oblique airplane photograph, and clearly show the relations of the physical features of a country to each other.

The series of maps demonstrates clearly how all maps are made. Color plates, "overlay" plates used for printing in black on color maps, and the methods of giving the effect of a relief map are all shown.

In making most of his maps Harrison spreads an ordinary map out on a huge globe, photographs it, and uses the resulting picture as the basis of the finished product in order to get the proper spherical effect.

The advantage of this system is shown in a map of Long Island which brings into the foreground all of the points which Harrison wishes to emphasize but still shows the rest of the island in its relation to these points.