'43 Smoker Committee Contracts Rochester and Colonel Stoopnagle

LACK FEMININE STAR

With Rochester, butler stooge on Jack Benny's radio program, and Colonel Stoopnagle on the list, plans for the annual Freshman Smoker in Memorial Hall Tuesday night are nearing completion, lacking only feminine attraction to make the show a success.

F. Chase Taylor, better known as Colonel Stoopnagle of the famous radio comedian team of Stoopnagle and Bud, has agreed to handle the show as master of ceremonies, from start to finish, while Jimmy Durante and Ray Bolger will definitely appear with members from the cast of "Keep Off the Grass."

In Boston for the eastern premiere of Jack Benny's newest movie, "Buck Benny Rides Again," Rochester has consented to amuse the gathering with some of the gags in his repertoire that have brought the laughs from countless radio audiences.

Grappiers From Garden

The only definite sports feature to date is to come from the ring of the Boston Garden in the form of two of Paul Bowser's ace grapplers, complete with grunts, groans, and grimaces.

Although the committee has met with considerable success in obtaining male entertainers, the female side has failed utterly, after the sudden retirement of Betty Randall, N.B.C. singer. Janet Carrol, now singing in the Latin Quarter in Boston, is a likely possibility but aside from her none are in sight.

Recalling the unwieldy crowds of former years, the Committee has decided to exclude everyone except members of the Freshman class and invited guests, Chairman John Richardson, Jr. announced yesterday. Always before the gates have been thrown wide, and in the resulting confusion many of the Freshmen never were able to get the food and refreshments provided especially for them.