Professor Cross Sees Probability Of Nazis Extending War to Sweden

Says Hitler Will Not Campaign In Balkans Unless Italy Joins Reich

Having correctly predicted the invasion of Denmark and Norway in a speech several weeks ago, Samuel H. Cross '12, Professor of Slavic Languages, yesterday gazed into the crystal ball again and saw that Sweden's neutrality may also be short-lived.

"It is probable," stated Professor Cross, "that the Germans will extend their operations to Sweden very shortly. This action should aid, rather than hamper, the democracies, however, since they will be able to campaign in Scandinavia with total disregard of political frontiers and the British chances of cutting off all ore shipments to Germany from the Kiruna field will be measurably improved."

In regard to a German campaign into the Balkans, he explained that such an action is not indicated for the moment unless the Italians join the Reich.

Italian Possibilities

"In that event," he added, "the Italian fleet could provide some marine diversion in case of a thrust through Hungary into Rumania, and could hamper the shipment of supplies to the Weygand forces in Asia Minor."

"On the other hand, some doubt is justified as to the scope of Italian operations in case of Italy's entry into the war on the German side for the reason that an eventual paralysis of the Italian fleet would leave the country in a perilous situation entailing the loss of all African colonies and total suspension of overseas supplies."

Professor Cross said that if the Allies fail or give evidence of incurable inertia, Italian entry into the war may well be accelerated, and prospects of German victory increased.

British Must Be Aggressive

"The masses of troops at present engaged in Scandinavia do not constitute a serious burden to either interested party. For the revival of British prestige, however, it is essential that the campaign should be conducted with a maximum of aggressiveness and success on the Allied side."

If the situation of the Allies becomes critical, Professor Cross believes the status of American neutrality will immediately be brought into question. This country will then be faced with the choice of taking steps to prevent the victory of nations whose ideology is hostile to our own or sitting idly by while the aggressors win out.

"In the latter case," Professor Cross states, "the United States, as the wealthiest and most prosperous modern nation, will be faced by problems of national defense of which the solution in the long run will be infinitely more costly than the granting of immediate economic and naval assistance to the Allies."

Hits Isolationists

"In my opinion, the isolationists who oppose such assistance are wilfully blind to the dangers of the future and unduly confident as to the degree of protection which the ocean provides against the impact of either propaganda or political pressure.

"At this critical stage of the game, it is anybody's war. I do not take too seriously reports of any incipient economic crisis in Germany, since, it is well known the Germans have considerable stocks of foodstuffs.

"As long as warfare in the air does not exceed its present intensity, the Germans do not seem destined to suffer from any dangerous shortage of airplane fuel.

"I cannot resist the conviction," Professor Cross concluded, "that, apart from the British inefficiency, Hitler's chief assets at the present moment are the Johnson Act and the isolationist temper of a majority of our own people. The one tangible political gain from the present American attitude is that it at least keeps the Japanese quiet."