College Students Support Democrats, Roosevelt, in Recent National Survey

F. D. R., Dewey Lead Parties By Wide Margin, as Hull, Taft, Vandenburg Trail

Five months before the election college students throughout the country show a definite leaning towards the Democratic party the results of a national poll indicated yesterday.

47 per cent of the students polled expressed a preference for the Donkey as compared with 39 percent for the G. O. P. The remaining 14 per cent were divided between those who did not know and those who favored some third party.

Franklin D. Roosevelt '04 led the list of voters with 34.3 per cent of the students with Thomas Dewey, Michigan '23, his nearest rival with 26.6 per cent. Cordell Hull, National Normal University '91 polled 7.3 per cent; Arthur H. Vandenburg garnered 6 per cent: and Robert A. Taft, Yale '10, collected 4.2 per cent.

John N. Garner: Norman Thomas Princeton, '05: James A Farley" Paul V. Mckutt, Indian '13, and Burton K. Wheelr followed the leaders in that order.

Taken by the Student Opinion Servers of America with the assistance of college newspapers, the poll was directed at qualified voting college students and the students as a whole.

The tendency of those who will actually got is slightly more n favor of the Democrats, with 51 per cent rather than 47 per cent, and opposed to the Republicans, with 34 per cent, 5 per cent less than the total vote indicated for the Elephant. The voters also favor Roosevelt more and Dewey less.

Cross tabulating the polls geographically the Survey found that New England, the South, the West, and the East Central states place Roosevelt on ten. The Middle Atlantic and West Central states favor Dewey. Students with no party choice rate Dewey first and F. D. E. second.