Copeland Proves Wit Still Keen As Famed Professor Turns 80

By John C. Robbins jr.

Charles Townsend Copeland, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, emeritus, is 80 years old today, but the witty spirit which placed him in the first rank of Harvard "greats" is as much present as it ever could have been in his famous composition course, English 12.

Copey's eyes shone with a youthful gleam yesterday as he revealed a plan which he has had in mind for years. He is determined, he announced, to buy a cow this spring and to test his right to graze her in the Yard.

"If, that is," he added with a wry smile, "the grass ever gets green again."

Holds Prerogative

As Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, he went on to explain, he holds a traditional prerogative given to the holder of that chair by the original constitution of Harvard College, of grazing his cattle on the Yard grass. However, he has never tried to use his prerogative.

"Copey" will spend a quiet day today at home, but already last night the stream of flowers, telegrams, and letters which annually arrives on the grand old man's birthday had started and it is sure to continue all through today.

Surprisingly active despite his four score of years, Professor Copeland had his birthday party last night when he gave one of his famous readings before a capacity audience in the Union.

It was his golden voice, which has charmed the members of more than two generations of Harvard men, that brought him fame, and last night he proved to the latest generation that his fame was deserved.

Worked on Paper

After graduating in 1882 Professor Copeland worked on Boston newspapers for nine years before joining the Harvard faculty in 1893. Although he never received a doctorate in philosophy he was awarded a chair late in his career in recognition of his outstanding ability. He retired 12 years ago.

Since then he has been living as near the Yard as possible, in an apartment overlooking Concord Avenue and just across the Common from Hollis Hall, which he used to make the headquarters for his group of admiring students.

Enthusiastic Walker

Copey is not planning a spring trip to New York as a birthday celebration, he stated yesterday, but he intends to keep up his habit of three to four mile daily walks in good weather.

Known best to the present crop of students for his annual readings, which until last year came at Christmas time, he tries to keep in touch with the student body through individual conferences which he holds with any men desirous of meeting him.

The custom of conferences will be continued this year, he assured the CRIMSON yesterday. To Freshmen he will be at home on Thursday evenings at "S plus" (his famous phrase used to be "S punet") and to upperclassmen on Wednesdays at the same time.