Harvard Nine Fourth in Intercollegiate League; Cornell Batsmen Lead

Yale Holds Second Place in East; Columbia Runs Third

Individually and as a team, Cornell is setting a hot pace in the eleventh annual championship race of the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League, which will enter its fourth week of competition today. Having gained the lead in the team standing by virtue of the 5-4 victory over Dartmouth last week end, Cornell players also are showing the way in most departments of individual offense and defense.

The Big Red's captain, George Polzer, heads the individual batting list in the race for the Charles H. Blair Bat. He has an average of .571 on eight hits in 14 at bat. He was second to Harvard's Ulysses Lupien last year. Polzer also has batted in mot runs, ten, and with a teammate, Ronnie Stillman, has scored the most runs, seven, as well as having gained most total bases, 13. Another Cornellian, Walter Scholl, leads in the competition for the Princeton A. A. Cup, emblematic of league base-stealing championship.

Further, Cornell's star pitcher, Walter Sickles, leads the league in number of victories, three. But the best game of the season belongs to Yale's Ted Harrison, who pitched a four-hitter and struck out thirteen while his mates were achieving a 3-2 victory over Pennsylvania in their debut last Saturday.

That victory gave Yale second place, mathematically, in the standing, with Columbia third with three and one. The Lions, after winning three straight, bowed to Pennsylvania on Friday, 5 to 0, first shutout of the season. Harvard, which scored over Princton in a 19-run, 33-hit slugfest, is fourth with one and two.