Crimson to Hold Poll on '43 Opinion Of Course Material for Confy Guide

Results To Be Tabulated, Sent To Class Of 1944 to Advise Course Choices

Plans for the CRIMSON Confidential Guide poll, conducted in order to find out the opinions of Yardlings about their courses are close to completion, William W. Tyng '41, executive editor in charge of the poll, announced last night.

"Questionnaires for the poll, which will be conducted for the benefit of the Class of '44, will be distributed to all Freshmen some time in the next few weeks," Tyng stated. "It will follow the same general lines as last year's, but we have made a few of the questions more specific and easier to answer."

One change from last year will be in counting the poll, which will be done by the special tabulating machine in University Hall.

Candid Appraisal

The questions will be of the objective type and will give each Freshman an opportunity to give a candid appraisal of his courses. Included are spaces for comments, criticism, and a general opinion of the value of each course.

Yardlings will be asked to tell what they think of the presentation, material, and organization of lectures and of the case of note-taking. Section men will come under consideration in those courses which are divided into sections, and an opinion of their attitude, ability, and marking will be asked for.

The material covered in the textbooks, its manner of presentation, its use, and its value are covered in the poll, as are the length of time of assignments and their difficulty and value.

Examinations Examined

In the poll, Yardlings will be asked to describe the difficulty, coverage, and marking of examinations. Finally an opportunity will be given to advise incoming Freshmen as to whether or not to take the course.

The questionnaire will be passed out in the Union and in Dudley Hall, commuter center, so that all Freshmen will have a chance to record their opinions.

When the machine has finished recording the answers, the editors of the CRIMSON will use the poll as the basis of the booklet sent to prospective Yardlings to aid them in their selection of courses.

As was the case last year, no attempt will be made in the Confidential Guide to appraise the fields of concentration, as it was decided by the CRIMSON that advice on a field was useless for Freshmen so early in their college career.