TWO BROADER COMBINATION FIELDS OPENED

Allport Announces Creations of New Concentrations for Freshmen, Sophomores

In accord with the College's policy of offering broader fields of concentration. Associate Professor Gordon W. Allport '19, chairman of the Psychology Department, announced yesterday the creation of two new combined fields: Biology and Psychology, and Psychology and Sociology.

Combined fields and "areas" of concentration were approved in principle by the Faculty last year as a means to cut across departmental lines and to lessen overspecialization. Several combined fields have already been established, while a program for an "area" in social sciences is now being considered by the Faculty.

Limited to Honors Candidates

Both of the fields, Professor Allport stated, will be open to members of the present Freshman and Sophomore classes. They will be limited to candidates for honors who will be expected to do extensive tutorial work.

Besides three full courses in Biology and three in Psychology, concentrators in the new field in Biology and Psychology will be required to take one full course in Physics and one in Chemistry. If they obtained honor grades in the admission examinations on these two courses, or passed satisfactory school courses with high credit, they will be permitted to complete the prescribed eight courses by taking subjects in other fields.

For Pre-Medical Students

"It is thought that this field will appeal to pre-medical students," Professor Allport said. Written divisional examinations, an oral examination, and a thesis covering both biological and psychological material are required.

Eight courses are also required for concentrators in the new combined field in Psychology and Sociology. Students in the field must take a minimum of three courses from each Department. The other two may be approved courses in related departments such as Anthropology, Government, or Philosophy.

A joint committee consisting of two members from each Department will have jurisdiction over the tutorial assignments, thesis subjects, oral examinations, and recommendations for degrees and honors. Written divisionals will also be given.