CRIMSON ILLUSTRATED TO BE PUBLISHED THIS WEEK FOR STUDENTS, ALUMNI

Revived Supplement Will Feature Articles and Photos of Harvard

At the end of this week the CRIMSON will publish the first issue of its revived and rejuvenated pictorial supplement called The Harvard Crimson Illustrated.

The Illustrated will be of magazine size and will contain photographs and articles pertaining to undergraduate activities, faculty personalities, and a summary of the news this spring. Approximately half of the magazine will be devoted to photographs taken by members of the Photographic Board of the CRIMSON.

The new venture has a predecessor in the old Harvard Illustrated which was taken over by the CRIMSON in 1919 and renamed the Pictorial. Until about 1935 Pictorials were published fortnightly and during football season were often published weekly.

The new Illustrated will differ from anything done at Harvard previously in that about half of the space will be devoted to feature articles rather than the old style rotogravure supplement filled entirely with unrelated pictures and small captions.

The issue of 10,000 copies to be published this week will be distributed free to all subscribers of the CRIMSON, several thousand alumni who will be in New York for the Associated Harvard Clubs meeting Friday and Saturday, and parents who will receive copies during the summer.

Although primarily designed for undergraduate readers, the Illustrated will appeal to alumni interested in undergraduate life and to parents who do not receive the regular CRIMSON. The news summary, which will be a permanent part of the Illustrated, gives a short, comprehensive review of the news.

If enough support from alumni and parents materializes over the summer, the Illustrated will be published fort-nightly beginning next September and subscribers will receive copies as a supplement of their regular CRIMSON.

This issue will contain four feature articles and a news summary. An article on crew will be the principal story. The flying course, the Crimson Network, and a portrait of Julian L. Coolidge, retiring Master of Lowell House, will also be treated in the pictorial essay style.

Another innovation is the process of printing the Illustrated. This issue will be printed by the new photo-offset process rather than on a letter-press. This follows the lead of many magazines and several recently founded newspapers such as the Hartford Newsdaily and the forthcoming New York daily, P.M.