NETMEN CONQUER M.I.T. TEAM 8 TO 1

Legg Head Man of Squad Weakened by Absence of Burt, Gilkey, Palfrey

Even without the services of Captain Dave Burt, Langdon Gilkey, and Johnny Palfrey, who were all away competing in the Intercollegiates at Providence, the Varsity tennis team still had far too much strength for M.I.T. and scored an 8 to 1 victory on the Divinity Courts yesterday afternoon.

Chet Legg stepped into the number one role as he disposed of Millar of Tech, 6-3, 6-2, in the feature match of the day. Ross Lyell, Corey Wynn, George Hough, Orme Wilson, and Don Marvin all won their singles bouts for a 6 to 0 sweep for the Barnabymen.

Lyell defeated Braunlich, 6-2, 6-2; Wynn won from Freeman, 6-2, 8-6; Hough beat Kaneb, 6-3, 6-2; Wilson beat Samuels, 7-5, 6-1; and Marvin trimmed Herron, 6-1, 6-3. The Crimson netmen followed this up with wins in two out of the three doubles engagements.

Legg teamed with player manager Joe Stern in an impressive 6-1, 6-2 rout of Millar and Cist. Wilson and Homer Peabody nosed out Braunlich and Kaneb, 8-6, 8-6; and M.I.T. got its only point as Freeman and Herron defeated Hough and Marvin, 8-6, 6-2.

Coach Barnaby's squad will have a busy time of it for the next couple of days, meeting Amherst and Brown on Wednesday and Thursday on the Divinity Courts. Both matches will start at 4 o'clock.