Horblit Will Stop Printing, Selling Notes Which Violate Copyrights on 13 Books

ADMITS GOV 1, EC A, SOC A, HIST 5b, 32b NOTES ARE ILLEGAL

Admitting that in his tutoring notes he has infringed on the copyrights of 13 books, Marcus Horblit, proprietor of the Fairfax Hall School, agreed yesterday to refrain from printing and selling any more of the offending notes and to turn over all existing copies to the publishers for destruction.

Coming as a climax to the second attack on the tutoring schools within the past three weeks, Horblit's settlement with the seven publishers who had brought suit against him were entered as consent decrees before Judge George C. Sweeney in the United States District Court yesterday morning.

Five Survey Courses

The notes in question include material from books used in five large survey courses: Economics A, Government 1. History 5b, History 32b, and Sociology A.

Horblit agreed to pay damages of $1 to each of the seven plaintiffs, including the Macmillan Company, Harper Brothers, Harcourt, Brace and Company, McGraw-Hill Company, Ginn and Company, Henry Holt and Company, and D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc.

The seven publishers, on the other hand, waived all rights to the profits made on the notes and to the costs of loss of sales which they have borne.

Prohibits Repetition

By the consent decree Horblit is rendered liable for contempt of court if he ever attempts to publish again or to sell notes which violate copyrights on the seven books.

The list of books includes Fay, "The Origins of the World War"; Friedrich, "Constitutional Government and Politics"; Roberts, "The House That Hitler Built"; Munro, "The Governments of Europe"; Slichter, "Modern Economic Society"; Garver and Hansen, "Principles of Economics"; and Taussig, "Principles of Economics;" Sorokin, "Social Mobility" and "Contemporary Sociological Theories;" Steiner, "Government in Fascist Italy"; Harper, "The Government of the Soviet Union"; Roberts, "The House That Hitler Built"; Hockett, "Political and Social Growth of the United States"; and Pringle, "Theodore Roosevelt."