Alumni Reports Stress Close College Contact

The problem of keeping the Alumni well-informed about Harvard activities "in the intellectual field as contrasted with soldiers Field" occupied the major part of the annual reports presented by the officers and committees of the Associated Harvard Clubs yesterday afternoon.

Following the general statement of President John J. Rowe '07, explaining the work of all the Clubs during the past year, the vice-presidents of the twelve geographical divisions of the Clubs explained how they had attempted to solve the problem in their regions.

Each Has Method

Each vice-president has used his own pet method to establish contact between the Clubs and the University graduate, varying with the Harvard population of his district. In populous New England between 85 and 70 meetings have been held by the Clubs, while in Montana, a "one man club", W. J. McCormick '07, has been carrying on the entire state organization by himself.

Some of the methods subbosted by the vice-presidents for encouraging the Alumni include revised msiling lists, more lectures by professors, and comprehensive visits on the part of the officers.

The Scholarship Committee, under Eric A. McCouch '20, announced a total of 60 Club scholarships given during 1988-40, while the Prize Book Committe reported gifts of books to the outstanding men in the Junior classes of 201 preparatory schools throughout the country.