ELIS RUN AWAY WITH MEET AS GRIMSON TEAM FINISHES FIFTH

Lightbody Takes 1/2 Mile Run in Record Time; Marks Fall

Although Captain Jim Lightbody's cindermen finished up-track in the annul Heptagonal meet Saturday afternoon, the Crimson captain was easily the meet's individual star. Yale outdistanced her rivals to win with 55 1/2 points.

During the afternoon five records went by the boards, both hurdle marks being shattered more than once. In the 120 yard event Joy Shields, Yale captain, proved his consistency by running the distance in 14.5 seconds in the trial heat and the finals. This broke the old record of 14.6 seconds.

Zittel Breaks Record

In the 220-yard low hurdles, Ted day of Yale tied the record with a 23.8 performance in the first heat only to have his mark bested by Walter Zittel of Cornell with a 23.8 record in his trial heat. In the final Zittel broke the record once again, running the distance in 23.6 seconds.

Lightbody was timed in 1:52.1 to break the record of 1:52.7 set by Peter Bradley of Princeton two years ago. Although Lightbody entered the event an underdog owing to the fact that Ed Burrowes of Princeton had previously been timed in under 1:52, the Crimson leader began to draw away at the 440-yard mark and finished a good 25 yards ahead of his nearest rival.

Best Time in Country

Not only was Lightbody's time the best of his career, but it is also the best time made in the country to date this spring. Burrowes, who turned in a 47.6 performance last year in the 440, got of slowly but moved us between runners to finish a distant second.

The Mikkolamen apotted their rivals several points by their failure to enter a man in the sprints. Pennsylvania, the host team, surprised by beating out Princeton for second with 44 points to 42%. Last year's champions, the Big Red team, nosed out Harvard for fourth with 35% points to 29. Dartmouth was closed behind with 28 points, and Columbia finished woefully far back with a grand total of 5 points.

Another record fell when Princeton captured the mile relay in the excellent time of 3:17.2, breaking the former mark of 3.18 set by the Big Green in 1937. Ed Burrowes, a one man track team, raced for Princeton in this event and further aided Nassau's cause with a third in the mile run. Without his Herculean assignment Burrowes would undoubtedly have won the mile, for the week before he had gained an easy victory over the winner, Dick Morss of Yale, in 7-10ths of a second better time than was made Saturday. Harvard finished fifth in the event, besting only Columbia.

The other record to fall from the books was in the high jump, where Indian Don Blout and Ithacan Lester Murock cleared 6 feet 3 1/2 inches in a tie for first place. The old mark was set in 1936 of 6 feet 2 1/2 inches by Robert Pitken of Columbia and equalled by Murdock as a Sophomore two years ago.

Although he took second place in the shot put, Howie Mendel heaved the shot 49 feet 2 1/4 inches. Marshall Maclsaac also turned in an excellent performance, finishing second in the pole vault with a leap of 13 feet 6 inches.