FLYING DOWN TO RIO 2b (2nd HALF)

Mingling business with pleasure, a group of Summer Schoolers will head for Brazil, Argentina, and points South before June has breathed its final sigh. The lucky lads and lasses, not to mention any retired school teachers who may go along, will be officially credited with a year's work in economics. But the only real reading they need do will be the menu in the nearest sidewalk cafe.

Much of their instruction will come from lectures and talks by economic ministers, chamber of commerce executives, labor leaders, military officers and politicians. These are men in the South American swing of things, who run Latin politico-economic life--at least until the next revolution rolls around.

Many, perhaps most, of those who enroll in the course will be going for the fun of it. Still it is encouraging to see Harvard turn its eyes to South American shores. America must strengthen the bonds of friendship with its neighbors before trade relations can be bettered. While a Harvard delegation is hardly expected to win Latin amity at one fell swoop, the trip deserves praise on the old theory that "every little bit helps."