The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld. Only letters under 400 words can be printed because of space limitations.)

To the Editors of the Crimson:

In the H.S.U. debate with Professor Elliott, Mr. Harper Poulson charged that the British Government was in the same category as the German Reich as a violator of individual rights. In proof he told a story of how a parliamentary inquiry had foiled the Government in an effort to depot him from Britain because of his criticisms of British policy while working on a student publication. The facts may be an index to Mr. Poulson's arguments. The facts appear in Hausard's Commons Debates, Vol. 344, pp. 1921-22, 2366. Mr. Poulson had been admitted to Great Britain as a student--a status legally precluding his employment for remuneration. In conformity with law the Home Office subsequently rejected an application to engage Mr. Poulson on a student paper for 200 pounds a year. Later, however, when Mr. Poulson assumed the position, the Home Office reminded him of the law's terms. When informed that Mr. Poulson was not receiving remuneration, the Home Office closed the matter. In response to parliamentary inquiry the appropriate ministers made their position clear that Mr. Poulson would not be molested so long as he fulfilled the stipulations under which he had entered.

C. B. Marshall.