LAMPY'S FEBRILITY FORCES CRIMSON TO POSTPONE BASEBALL FRACAS

Comics Languish in Stillman While Foes Get Tough Blackboard Drill

The annual Lampoon-CRIMSON ball game, originally scheduled for 2:30 o'clock today, was postponed until Thursday late last night when Lampy president W. Russell Bowie (rhymes with "roue") called from Stillman to say that the entire 'Poon team was laid up with pulled calf muscles.

"I think somebody's been pulling our legs," Bowie reported. At the same time the lovable tousle-headed lan from Passaic announced that he would take the first trick on the mound in the yearly blue-chip classic Thursday.

"Speed to Burn"--Bowie

"If I'm sufficiently recovered and get my old soupbone warmed up," Bowie said, "I ought to be able to elbow my way through the first brace of cadenzas. "I've got speed to burn, but no control."

In startling contrast to the languishing Lampy nine, a confident but sober Crimson squad spend last night in a final skull session before the great blackboard in the Plympton Street dugout.

Although Dapper Dave Coulter, veteran Scotch curling champion and coach of the CRIMSON team for nine years, declined to name either the starting lineup or the final score until Thursday morning, he did indicate that he might call on Charles N. Pollak '40 for mound duty.

'No Control"--Coulter

'He's got speed to burn, but no control," Coulter announced. While the journalists have been holding regular and rigorous practice sessions for several weeks, the funnymen have only been batting it about at odd moments. It was the effect of their first serious workout yesterday that sent the jesters to the sick-bay.

Dr. Elmer Green, Lampoon trainer, said last night that he feared his charges were on their last legs.

"Four of them have scotch and water on the knee," he admitted, adding that the Mt. Auburn Street aggregation had lost their punch at their "dance" last Friday night.

Highlights in the 49 year jester-journalist diamond rivalry were recalled by veteran observers and innocent bystanders yesterday. They agreed that the greatest thriller of the series was the 1902 game, when a powerful Lampoon outfit (whose entire infield was later sold to the Brooklyn Dodgers for a song) when down in defeat, 23 to 2, after a pitchers' duel that lasted 25 innings.