BAYARD CLARK WILL GIVE '40 IVY ORATION

Read Ranks Next in Contest for Class Day Humor Man

Bayard S. Clark '40 of Philadelphia and Lowell House was chosen yesterday to deliver the annual Ivy Oration in the Class Day Exercises on Wednesday, June 19.

Traditionally, the speech is a humorous account of the class's four college years. Clark will be following in the footsteps of such Harvard greats as Albert Bushnell Hart '80, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, Emeritus, George Lyman Kittredge '82, Gurney Professor of English Literature, Emeritus, and Robert Benchley '12.

Read Is Runner-Up

Runner-up in the competition which was held yesterday in Holden Chapel was Edward C. K. Read '40. He will serve as alternate if Clark is for any reason unable to speak. Other candidates were Ward M. Hussey '40, Stanley H. Kapner '40, Theodore L. Sendak '40, and John W. Sever '40.

Judges for the selection of the Ivy Orator were Frederick C. Packard, Jr. '20, associate professor of Public Speaking, Vinton Freedley, Jr. '40, chairman of the Class Day Committee, Second Marshal Ernest J. Sargeant '40, and Samuel W. White, Jr. '40, member of the Class Day Committee.

Clark's College activities include the Lampoon, two years of Hasty Pudding theatricals, and the Instrumental Clubs, of which he is master of ceremonies. He has also gained fame around the College as an impersonator, and has done monologues and appeared on radio programs for Phillips Brooks House's entertainment committee.