ELIOT EIGHTS SWEEP RIVER IN DOUBLES

Kirkland Finishes Second in Inter-House Races; Eliot Will Meet Yale Saturday

A veteran-studded eight from Eliot House found little difficulty in walking off with the House championship yesterday afternoon. Outdistancing their nearest rival, the Kirkland Deacons, by three full lengths, the Merrymen won for themselves the right to oppose Yale's Berkeley College eight Saturday at Derby.

Eliot's second boat also led its race, edging the Deacons by a length and a quarter in the day's preliminary feature. Both races were rowed over the Basin Henley course, against a rain-laden head-wind. Eliot's firsts were clocked in 8:03, although earlier in the season they covered the same mile and five-sixteenths in 7:10.

Merrymen Win Easily

Lowell, Adams, and Leverett lined up at the beginning of the first crew race as well as the Merrymen and the Deacons, but Eliot stroke Ev Walkley jumped the field at the start and, rowing the main part of the race at a 32, was not pushed. The Lowell House Bellboys, who had failed to qualify but entered after winning a consolation race by default, finished half a length behind the second place Deacons, while Adams and Leverett were well back in the ruck.

Essentially the second crew race was the same. Joe Woods, understroking the other boats with a 28, managed to hold his early lead, finished a length and a quarter in front of Kirkland. Lowell again was third, and Leverett was four lengths behind the Bellboys.

Tom Bollos' success with current crews may have had something to do with the Eliot victory. Five of the members of the first eight were rowing last fall, and until recently this spring, Ev Walkley was stroking the fourth Varsity with Ewing Walker, Eliot seven man, right behind him.

Saturday the Merrymen go to Derby where they will oppose a Pierson College eight