MARKS TO FALL IN TRACK MEET

Fairly Certain of Shattering H-Y Records in Three Events

In this age of speed people tend to think of a track meet in terms of broken records. If shattered standards do make a meet successful, next Saturday's clash with Yale should be the most successful in the history of the contest, for competitors may very well break records in six events.

Three meet records and three Harvard records are almost certain to be surpassed. The star event will be the 120-yard high hurdles where Captain Shields and Ted Day of Yale compete with the Crimson's Don Donahue and Roger Schafer. Any one of these performers is capable of besting the mark of 14.7 seconds set by Day in last year's meet.

Fast Hurdles Predicted

Shields, the favorite, ran the distance in 14.5 seconds on two occasions last Saturday. With such an impressive performance behind him, he will be almost sure to best unofficially the Harvard mark set by Eugene E. Record '32 in 1931.

Last Saturday Jim Lightbody bested the Harvard record established by Alexander C. Northrup '38 in the 1938 Yale meet. Lightbody should beat Northrup's mark of 1:52.3 once again in the meet. It is doubtful, however, if he will trim any time off his own mark of 1:52.1, since he will have to conserve himself for the 440.

New Shot-Put Mark

Shot-putter Howie Mendel also established a new Harvard mark in the Heptagonal meet. His heave of 49 feet 2 1/4 inches lengthened the mark set by George Downing last year by 3/4 of an inch. Mendel should certainly add to the meet record of 48 feet 9 7/8 inches also set by Downing last year and stands a fine chance of beating his newly established mark.

Bill Shallow is in top form right now and may very well beat the meet mark of 170 feet 9 inches set by Yale's Frank Connor in 1931. On the way to this new standard he will break his own Harvard mark of 170 feet 1 inch established last year.

In the 220-yard low hurdles either Day, Shields, or Donahue can best Donahue's mark of 23.6 which was established last year. The Eli's Owen on the basis of his times so far this year may be able to best the meet record in the 220-yard dash set by Gardner Millett, Jr. in 1937. Both Lussen of Yale and Fred MacIsaac can break the Harvard record of 13 feet 9 1/2 inches set by Emile Dubeil '37 in 1937. MacIsaac missed his try to clear the bar at 13 feet 9 inches by the slimmest of margins in the Heptagonal and thus rates as a possible record smasher